This may mean nothing. I sense it means something. But I can’t say for sure.
The other day, while reading some news online, I stumbled across the fact that there will be a total solar eclipse next year that will be observable from America, and then I investigated it more and discovered this interesting information.
I’m naturally interested in eclipses anyway, but the reason these caught my interest more than usual is because of their paths and their timing.
Again, this might mean nothing. It might mean a lot. I don’t know. I don’t claim to know how to accurately interpret all the signs, if it is one. But I know enough to know that this could be important.
On August 21, 2017, there will be a total solar eclipse that travels across all of the mainland United States. Here is its path:
On April 8, 2024, there will be another total solar eclipse that travels across part of the United States. Here is its path:
Here is what they look like put on the same map (thanks to Jonathan Neville of Moroni’s America for sending me the following picture of both eclipses on the same map as well as pointing out to me that the 2024 eclipse will also go over Kirtland and Cumorah!):
A total solar eclipse has a limited path or zone where you would have to be to see the total phase of the eclipse. These two eclipse paths have a northern limit, a path center, and a southern limit. In the above pictures, this zone is marked by a northern blue line, a red center line, and a southern blue line.
The green and purple marker pins have to do with the points of greatest eclipse and greatest duration, which I won’t discuss here.
Notable (or meaningless) facts about total solar eclipses in America:
- The last total solar eclipse that touched the United States was 37 years ago on February 26, 1979. Its path went across only a few states in the northwest.
- The last total solar eclipse to path across the entire mainland of the United States was on June 8, 1918. It went from Washington to Florida.
Notable (or meaningless) facts about these events:
- The August 21, 2017 event will go across the entire mainland from Oregon to South Carolina.
- The August 21, 2017 event will cast at least a “partial” shadow over almost the entire country. (If I’m phrasing that wrong, someone please correct me.)
- The northern limit of the August 21, 2017 event includes Adam-ondi-Ahman, Haun’s Mill, and Far West.
- The southern limit of the August 21, 2017 event includes Liberty Jail and Independence.
- The center line of the August 21, 2017 event lands about half way between Adam-ondi-Ahman and Independence.
- The August 21, 2017 event center line goes over Makanda, Illinois.
- The April 8, 2024 event center line also goes over Makanda (just northwest of it, less than 4 miles away).
- Makanda (also near Pamona) is essentially where “X marks the spot” for the two events. (They “X” at Cedar Lake.) The “X” is located in the Shawnee National Forest.
- The April 8, 2024 event goes over Kirtland, Palmyra, and the Hill Cumorah (Palmyra is right near Cumorah). This map also has Cedar Lake (bottom left marker pin) for reference.
- The April 8, 2024 event will cast a “partial” shadow over the entire mainland United States.
- The second event will happen in the 7th year after the first event.
Okay, so why does any of this matter at all?
The reason it interests me has to do with certain events that I believe happened in these areas during Book of Mormon times, certain events that I know happened in these areas in the early history of the LDS church, and prophecies related to some of these areas relevant to the last days.
I won’t list all of those details here. I’m not here to convince anyone or to debate interpretation, though I welcome your thoughts. If you know the prophecies I refer to and have added insight, please leave me a note.
It also interests me because of my belief that the Book of Mormon took place in the heartland of America, right in this very location. The “X” is right over an area that I believe to be of great significance. In fact, the location of the “X” reminds me (when you consider the 7 year timetable) of the 7 year “standoff” between Lachoneus and Gidgiddoni and the gadianton robbers. That, plus the prophesied events to transpire in the near future, plus the location of these eclipses, plus the 7-year timeline, all connect to make me ask, “Is this a coincidence?”
I don’t have the answer.
What I am not saying:
- I’m not saying I think Jesus Christ’s second coming to all the world will happen in either 2017 or 2024.
- I’m not saying I think that these eclipses are the sign of the coming of the Son of Man.
- I’m not saying that I think anything will happen on the exact day or at the exact time of the eclipses that will suddenly jolt all of America. Something could happen, but that’s not what I’m saying.
What I am saying:
- I am saying that these eclipses could be relevant to and indicative of a great tribulation in America, an Adam-ondi-Ahman event, a New Jerusalem event, an event relevant to the people there being defended against enemies, and perhaps even an indicator of an event to transpire in the Old Jerusalem, though that last one would be an educated guess based on time tables and not on these specific eclipses.
I do not want to start rumors. I do not want to gain an “eclipse cult” following. I do not want to tempt you to take your focus away from where it really matters, which is on the Savior and your relationship with Him, the inspired teachings of His living prophets, the scriptures, your faith, your testimony, your virtue, your integrity, your family, your character, and your discipleship.
I’m not telling you to sell everything you have and buy a tent.
I just find it interesting.
This morning, while watching an episode of Nephite Explorer by Ryan Fisher where he and Rod Meldrum discuss the New Madrid fault, I remembered that I had previously learned about this earthquake zone during my natural disaster studies.
The New Madrid fault is known to produce extremely large and damaging earthquakes. But earthquakes along the New Madrid that are similar in magnitude to those produced by the well-known faults of California can be more damaging than those in California, because the earth in the heartland amplifies the waves due to its unique make up.
It just so happens that these eclipses go straight through this fault zone. The town of Makanda sits atop the major center of the fault zone like a hat or a crown. Here’s a map to show what I mean (note that I put the black lines on the image to indicate the paths of the eclipses):
Note that the 2017 eclipse also paths directly over the Juan de Fuca plate off the coast of Northern California, Oregon, Washington State, and Vancouver Island in Canada. The Juan de Fuca is capable of earthquakes of magnitude 9.0 or larger.
1260 days before 10/26/2020 (also 2520 days before second eclipse):
6 months after inauguration day (Based on 30-day months):
1260 days before second eclipse:
1260 days from 7/19/2017:
1260 days from first eclipse (8/21/2017):
1260 days from 12/30/2020:
1260 days from 1/31/2021
Approximate dates I suspect significant events could happen, or begin, or end:
Between ≈5/15/2017 and ≈8/21/2017
Between ≈10/26/2020 and ≈1/31/2021
Between ≈4/8/2024 and ≈7/14/2024
Other significant events to have happened in the path of the eclipses:
Trail of Tears
The August 21, 2017 event paths directly over about half of the northern land route of the Trail of Tears, which is a path the Cherokee Nation took when they were forced out of their tribal lands. Thousands of Cherokee perished. This trail happens to go directly through the Shawnee National Forest, only 10-20 miles south of where the two eclipses cross paths.
To be continued…
Do you know of other significant locations relevant to scriptural and modern prophecy, the early LDS church, or Book of Mormon lands that these eclipses pass over? If so, please send me a message!