God’s authorized servants have explicitly warned all people on Earth that the disintegration of the family will result in our experiencing the calamities foretold in scripture. Indeed, our safety as a people depends upon the integrity of the family unit.
Attempting to change the definition of marriage and family from a gendered institution to one where male can “marry” male and female can “marry” female is a major milestone along the path of the disintegration of the family unit. It is a blatant attack against God and His revealed truth. It invites God’s righteous indignation. Political leaders can change temporary laws, but they can’t change Eternal law and truth. Marriage and family is ordained of God.
Why do we want to abandon the most fundamental principles of life as it exists, with the union of a man and woman being the natural order. God Himself revealed this order. Did God display bigotry when He “withheld” the procreative powers from same-gendered couples? Or do you feel that God just hasn’t caught up yet with the “evolution” of homosexuality; He has provided the attraction but hasn’t yet provided the means to procreate? Do you imagine a future where same-sex couples will naturally be able to conceive and bring forth children? Or will they all always have to borrow from the natural order to secure the blessings of parenthood?
There are even some in the Christian faith who support SSM. They do it from the perspective that we ought to love one another; therefore, we ought to support gay marriage. This is a serious error of judgement and a faulty interpretation of gospel truth. God never condones sin. Christ didn’t say, “Condone sin and support others in living it.” That doctrine comes from the adversary of God.
Christ does teach us to love sinners (everyone except for Christ is a sinner) but to never condone sin. Loving sinners doesn’t mean that we celebrate their sins and pave the way for their sins to be lauded and applauded. We can’t make someone’s scarlet sins as white as snow by simply deciding for ourselves that homosexuality isn’t actually sin or that SSM will actually not be offensive to God or have any dire consequences to humanity. We can’t do that for other’s sins, nor can we for our own. But that doesn’t stop some of us from trying.
There shall also be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God—he will justify in committing a little sin; yea, lie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor; there is no harm in this; and do all these things, for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God. 2 Nephi 28:8
O the wise, and the learned, and the rich, that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts, and all those who preach false doctrines, and all those who commit whoredoms, and pervert the right way of the Lord, wo, wo, wo be unto them, saith the Lord God Almighty, for they shall be thrust down to hell!
Wo unto them that turn aside the just for a thing of naught and revile against that which is good, and say that it is of no worth! For the day shall come that the Lord God will speedily visit the inhabitants of the earth; and in that day that they are fully ripe in iniquity they shall perish.
But behold, if the inhabitants of the earth shall repent of their wickedness and abominations they shall not be destroyed, saith the Lord of Hosts. 2 Nephi 28:15-17
Loving people doesn’t mean that we make every effort to make their sins as easy to live as possible. That is lucifer’s trick. Christ teaches us to love one another, to serve one another, and to urge one another to repent and follow Him by living His commandments.
The following points are taken from the document The Family: A Proclamation to the World that was read by President Gordon B. Hinckley as part of his message at the General Relief Society Meeting held September 23, 1995, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The doctrines, teachings, warnings, and invitations are considered by LDS Christians and many other people of good will to be prophetic and true.
I am honored to go on record as a supporter of these truths. I do so without hesitation. I add my testimony to that of prophets and apostles of Jesus Christ that marriage, family, and procreation are ordained of God. God created the institution of the family. We must honor and sustain it, especially during these days when the family is attacked with increasing frequency and ferocity.
I invite you to ponder these statements. Do they not ring true to the humble seeker of truth? The truth alone is reason enough to defend God’s definition of marriage and family, but there is another reason that is also compelling. That reason is described in the warning section below. Humanity’s survival truly depends upon God’s revealed principles about the family.
- Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God.
- Marriage between man and woman is essential to God’s eternal plan.
- Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children.
- The family is ordained of God.
- The family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.
- The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave.
- Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.
- Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities.
- The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife.
- God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force.
- God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.
- The means by which mortal life is created is divinely appointed.
- Life is sacred, and it is important in God’s eternal plan.
- Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live.
- Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.
- By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families.
- Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children.
- In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners.
- Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.
- “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3).
- Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity.
- All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God.
- Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny.
- Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.
- In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshipped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize their divine destiny as heirs of eternal life.
WARNING to the People of the Earth
- Individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God.
- The disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.
- We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.